I started my job at the Government Information Center on February 3, 2020; just three weeks before the Coronavirus was looking like it could be a real crisis.
We didn't know what to expect or what exactly would be needed, so we acted quickly. We ultimately built a WordPress website flexible enough to accommodate any kind of content that was needed and used existing health department branding for a consistent user experience.
I created the wireframes for the initial layout design and set up the initial WordPress theme skeleton. My team members did the rest of the development as I had previously scheduled time off to care for a family member.
- Launched the website and trained content editors from multiple departments on how to use it
- Created a COVID-19 testing center locator and schedule using the Modern Tribe Events Calendar WordPress plugin
- Set up Google Analytics and gathered and reported data on the most recently visited pages
- Redesigned and developed the homepage and other key pages based on the data and improved the user experience and discoverability of testing, vaccine, and other critical information
Design and Development Tools Used
- Adobe XD and Figma
- WordPress using the classic editor